Three Enemies of Marriage
13. If you are wise, live a life of steady goodness, so that only good deeds will pour forth. And if you don't brag about them, then you will be truly wise!
14. And by all means don't brag about being wise and good if you are bitter and jealous and selfish; that is the worst sort of lie.
15. For jealousy and selfishness are not God's kind of wisdom. Such things are earthly, unspiritual, inspired by the devil.
16. For wherever there is jealousy or selfish ambition, there will be disorder and every other kind of evil.
17. But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure and full of quiet gentleness. Then it is peace-loving and courteous. It allows discussion and is willing to yield to others; it is full of mercy and good deeds. It is wholehearted and straightforward and sincere.
18. And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of goodness.
The Apostle James mentions three enemies of marriage that we will avoid if we use God's wisdom in dealing with each other on a daily basis.
These enemies are bitterness, jealousy and selfishness.
If God is not kept in the picture as an active third party to the marriage, these are some of the challenges and difficulties Satan will definitely throw at the union in order to break it apart and cause much unhappiness.
Bitterness is a feeling of deep anger and ill-will either towards specific people or people in general. If either party in the marriage has a bitterness problem, it needs to be faced and overcome before the wedding.
Jealousy always feels that there is a rival present in the marriage, especially when that is the case. Jealousy magnifies everything in the imagination and is usually unreasonable. If the marriage is to survive this enemy, it too must be faced and overcome before the wedding.
Selfishness indicates that a person is totally absorbed in their own life and has very little to give to a marriage. That person is so busy in their own world, that they expect their partner to give up their own life and embrace the selfish personâ€™s world as their own. This is madness.
On the other hand, including God as an active third party means that we will have wisdom from heaven, which is pure, full of quiet gentleness, peace-loving and courteous. Most of all this kind of wisdom allows discussion and understands how to yield to my partner.
Father I want my lifestyle to reflect You and I want Your wisdom to flood my being so that I will be pure, full of quiet gentleness, peace-loving and courteous. Most of all this kind of wisdom allows discussion and understands how to yield to my partner,
in Jesusâ€™ name,
See you tomorrow, God willing.
A new meditation in this series is available every day!
Meanwhile, be blessed in all you do today,